Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The One about Christmas 2009

Merry Christmas (a few days late) and Happy New Year (a few days early!)

This year was my 2nd Christmas where I didn't see family OR go to Church, so it really didn't feel like Christmas to me at all. I worked at Epcot on Christmas morning, it was rather uneventful other than my manager bringing us donuts and orange juice. Christmas evening, I went to my co-worker's house for dinner with a few other co-workers who are in Florida without any family around. It was a fun time and it was nice to get a real, home-cooked meal on Christmas! Although, I have to say, even if I were with family on Christmas, if I were in Florida, it still wouldn't feel Christmasy because Christmas to me equals snow and cold, not palm trees and 60 degrees (unintentional rhyming but enjoyable nonetheless).


Last night though was SO COLD and I had to work until 11:30 (not late compared to my 5am shifts last year at the Emporium) but regardless, I'm the stupid Minnesotan wearing shorts outside thinking if I can handle blizzards I can handle a "cold" Florida night. But I was assigned to exit surveys, so essentially standing in 1 spot trying to get people to stop to do my survey. It was NOT easy. I know that other cast members doing the same surveys on a warmer day got about 200 completed. I, for once in my life, am lowering the curve with a measley 71 surveys. Thankfully, I had no quota, was just told to get as many as I could. It didn't help that it seemed everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. Including  but not limited to, a frantic woman wanting me to help her find her lost son and a elderly woman who took a dive on the sidewalk in front of me. Ouch!

The cutest thing happened at work though too. I'm standing near town square in the Magic Kingdom, which is all decorated for Christmas with like a 100 foot Christmas tree and all, and this little boy comes running in and with his arms waving in the air proclaims "IT'S A WINTER WONDERLAND IN HERE!!!" I just start laughing and his parents just look at him like, awww, isn't our son the cutest!? And in a non-verbal nod, I communicated back that he was, indeed, the cutest.

A week from tomorrow I'll be on my way to Minnesota and I couldn't be more excited! I was a little bummed when my mom told me, on Christmas, that my sister was going to be taking my bed (the one I hand-picked in High School and labeled my dream bed) to her new house. I was like ummmm hold the phone, sleeping in my bed at home is a whole part of the coming home experience, right!? And I plead my case which resulted in my sister getting a new bed and me keeping my bed at home! Win-win for everyone! My mom also told me that for Christmas, her and my step-dad are taking the entire family to Las Vegas. Because nothing says FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY like Las Vegas!!!!!! lol My family is strange. I'm thinking my 13 nieces and nephews won't be along for this trip. Just a hunch.

Anyways, time to do something productive but before I go, in the spirit of cheesy holiday messages,  I just have to say, it warms my heart that you care enough to read this! I especially love when I get text messages of my spelling mistakes - ahem thanks Billie. =)

0 comments:

Post a Comment